In our family we have a beautiful dog that is now 3 years old. She is playful and energetic and is an extremely special part of our home. Watching Rhemy with her has shown me that every child needs a dog and I thought I would share my top 5 reasons why.
1. It teaches the child to be nurturing! Encouraging your child to show their dog love and compassion is teaching them a wonderful trait to take through their life with them.
2. It encourages your child to share! This can be especially helpful for only children or children with much older siblings, who do not often have to share their belongings. The dog can encourage them to share by simply playing with them. Games such as fetch means the ball must go between dog and child.
3. It encourages your child to exercise and be outside. Pretty self explanatory but when there is an animal outside running around, when your child goes to play with them, they too are running around in the fresh air. How wonderful for an era where kids are obsessed with all things related to a screen.
4. It teaches your child responsibility. Giving your child the “chore” of feeding the dog of an evening (supervised of course) allows the child to gain some responsibility for looking after another living thing. It allows them to learn that if they do not fulfill their obligations there are consequences.
5. Last but certainly not least, having a dog for your child gives them friendship and companionship with a living thing, that quiet frankly thinks they are the bees knees! That will never leave them out of playtime and won’t ever decide they are no longer their best friend. To me, there is simply no better reason to have a dog for your child!