I have been giving this topic a lot of thought over the past few days and initially I thought I would have a top ten or even have my favourite things about being a mum numbered, but it occurred to me I can’t rate the things I love nor can I round them off to a even number. So here they are, in no particular order.
- Rhemy: I know this is a fairly obvious one and honestly probably doesn’t need to be said, but I can’t have a list of my favourite things without listing her. She has taught me so much about myself in her short time on this planet. She is hilarious and wonderful and as corny as it sounds, she is my heart wandering around outside of my body (not that she wanders far).
- Newborn smell: My friends who have children always spoke of the “newborn” smell and I believed them but I truly had never experienced it until I had my own baby. But they were right, the newborn smell is something out of this world!
- Playtime: Never in my life, did I think I would enjoy singing nursery rhymes, on the floor under a mobile with a child who can not sing along, but my god I do! Seeing her face light up when the little characters twirl around above her, her gorgeous smile when I bop around singing for her bring me complete and utter joy. Luckily Rhemy doesn’t judge my singing or dancing and just enjoys our time together haha.
- Baby clothes, shoes and accessories: This is not really part of motherhood but it is part of having a baby and probably has a lot to do with the fact that Rhemy has more clothes then she has been able to wear, but I love dressing her everyday. I love picking outfits for her, I love accessorising with headbands and little shoes. I love the compliments she recieves. I love making headbands and little barefoot sandals for her and hope one day I will be able to make her little pieces of clothing.
- The way baby looks for me: I know, babies love their mums and that early on they are able to distinguish their mother and father from others that visit. But nothing prepared me for the feeling I would get when it was blatantly obvious that Rhemy wanted me.
- Morning time: Just after Rhemy wakes up and she has her bottle I sit her on my lap facing me and we talk. She talks back and smiles and once or twice she has giggled. I love this time, it is our time just the two of us!
- Her milestones: Seeing my daughter reach her milestones, is a feeling that I could not prepare myself for. The pride I felt when I heard her laugh and coo for the first time, when I witnessed her first smile and even when she had her first bottle is overwhelming.
- Naptime: I love putting Rhemy in her swaddle and putting her in her crib. She is so peaceful and content and this time everyday reminds me of the unconditional love I feel for this tiny little human.
So I ask you to leave a commment and tell me what you are your favourite things about Being Called Mum?