When you become a parent, there are certain things, memories or feelings from your own childhood that you wish to recreate for your own children. Something that always made you feel comfortable, safe or happy.
For me the thing I most wish to recreate for our girls is the security I always feel in my parents home. I have not lived with my parents for 10 years, however their house is still without a doubt one of my favourite places in the world. The comfort in their four walls is something that I cherish. Their house is home, no matter where I live. As a child, coming from a close knit family, meant I enjoyed movie nights with my family, hanging out on Sunday afternoons or playing the nintendo until bed time (even though I truly sucked compared to everyone else). We created fond memories and they still radiate in the walls of their home. The familiarity of everything in that house calms me and is my happy place if I ever feel like I need picking up.
I want this for my girls, I want to create a safe haven, a cosy home for them to cherish. I want them to love being here with us and to feel the same warmth in our home, as I feel in my parents’. I want us to be their security, for our house to hold our family memories and for it to comfort them when they need it.
I want the photos on our walls to tell one story and the familiarity of our rooms to tell another. I want them to feel at peace here. I want to pass on the feeling of being in a strong family unit. I want this house to be their happy place and for it to be their home no matter where life takes them.
All that I am, all that I’ll be – I owe to my mother and father. (and I hope one day, my kids say that about us)
What do you want to pass on to your children? Or even what do you not?
Until next time,
I seen this posted on another website a few months ago and I thought it was such an amazing idea! So here we go, I’m going to share with you all 9 songs I’ll listen to until the day I die and why!
1. Kiss – Rock N Roll All Nite: My dads favourite band when I was growing up was Kiss. I never really got it when I was younger but you hear something enough, you become used to it. However when I was a teenager I went to their concert with my family and now the song has such a sentimental value to me that I actually really like it.
2. Blondie – One way or another: Another memory from when I was growing up, we’d have sing alongs in the car when we travelled and my mum was a Blondie fan, to be honest I always liked to sing along too!
3. Queen – Fat bottomed girls: I have a memory of me and my mum dancing around in our kitchen to this song. It was such fun and one we always laughed along to. It was our song, as we are of the pear body shape!
4. Aerosmith – I don’t wanna miss a thing: When I was in Vegas we went and seen Aerosmith. They were incredible! It certainly helps that this is the song me and my husband danced to at our wedding. It brings back such lovely memories.
5. The Temptation – My girl: Like so many girls my age, this was a song my dad sang to me when I was young. It also helps that this was also one of my favourite movies!
6. Brian McKnight – Marry your daughter: I walked down the aisle to this song, enough of a reason right there. The lyrics get me every single time!
7. ABBA – Waterloo: Mum loves ABBA, I remember it playing as part of her “cleaning soundtrack” while I didn’t help clean, I certainly helped sing and bop along!
8. Axiom – A little ray of sunshine: When Rhemy was born my grandparents came to see us and on the way they had heard this song and thought it was so appropriate. As soon as I listened to it, I knew it was too.
9. Heartland – I loved her first: I danced with my dad to this song at my wedding. What a tear jerker this song turned out to be!
Now your turn, share with my songs that you will listen to until the day you die and why?! It was so fun looking down memory lane and I know I have missed some out! I probably could have done 20 songs but ain’t nobody got time for that 😂.
Till next time,
(Featured image credit: http://www.scienceillustrated.com.au)